Friday, December 2, 2011

Romans 11 - What A Chapter!

Southside Church, our home church back in NC, recently sent a group to Israel to visit the Holy Land (the group actually may still be there; not sure!), and in reading my Bible this morning I was blown away by what the Apostle Paul had to say about God's plan for Israel.


Jerusalem (Not Kenya)

There is much debate and differing opinions amongst Christians about Israel's eventual and final disposition in God's Kingdom.  Will all of Israel come to know Christ?  Will a small or large remnant of Israel come to know Christ?  Is today's Church the "New Israel," and the old nation of Israel has no inheritance in God's Kingdom?  So many questions!

Now, I'm definitely not the most qualified to speak with any authority on this topic, but Paul says some pretty amazing things about Israel in Romans 11.  From my reading, it seems clear that a remnant (size unknown) of Israel will come to know Jesus as Savior, but as I said before this topic is hotly debated amongst many respected Christian teachers and pastors.  It is no coincidence that Paul refers to this topic as a "mystery" in verse 25, and that the chapter begins closing with verses 33 & 34 saying,

Oh, the depth of the riches and wisdom and knowledge of God!  How unsearchable are his judgments and how inscrutable his ways!  "For who has known the mind of the Lord, or who has been his counselor?"

When I get to a tough passage of Scripture like this, I tell my staff, "Time to chew on some meat and stop drinking milk!"  So, I'll ask you, what are your thoughts on this topic?

No comments:

Post a Comment