Saturday, December 24, 2011

"All I Want For Christmas is MA-LAR-I-A"

I have achieved my first Kenyan rite of passage by contracting my first case of malaria!  Okay, before anyone gets too worried, having malaria is kind of like having the flu.  Beginning Wednesday, I started feeling really tired and achy, but didn't feel feverish.  I kept trying to "get back in the saddle," but still kept feeling poorly.  So, after an achy night's sleep (where I dreamed the same dream over and over again), I finally took my temperature and had a 101.2 degree fever.  

Thankfully, our friend Dr. Ruby was open on Christmas Eve, and after hearing my symptoms and checking my vitals, she said that she was certain that I had malaria.  After a nice shot in my hip, I'm already starting to feel a little better!  


Evidently, there are some drug-resistant forms of malaria around Kisumu, so I get to take two different drugs (plus my shot) to try to "beat down" this bout of malaria.




1 comment:

  1. oh my, Chris! I'm glad you have a good doctor there! i wonder if its because you've traveled more than tammy and the kids? is it contagious?

    ReplyDelete