Thursday, July 19, 2012

Jiggers (Warning: This Is Gross!)

Yesterday, we had a new boy named Geoffrey leave the streets and join Agape, and Geoffrey brought some friends with him . . . JIGGERS!  Don't get jiggers confused with chiggers (the little itchy red bugs) from the US.  Jiggers are a type of flea that burrow under the skin, and they are nasty!  Here's a good website to read more about them:


Now, I have a strong stomach, and I don't get queasy very easily.  But, earlier today I saw jiggers for the first time, and I had to leave the room because it was so nasty.  But, because of you, my loyal readers, I had to take a deep breath and take some photos to share.  Please pray for Geoffrey as he recovers!!!


The female jigger burrows under the skin.


The flea then grows like a tick under the skin to the size of a pea.


To extract the jigger, the affected body part has to be soaked in a solution of alcohol, and then they are essentially dug out of the skin with tweezers.


Here's a photo of a jigger after it had been pulled from Geoffrey's foot.  You crush them after you extract them like a tick.  Pretty gross!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment